2019 Let This New Year Inspire You to Take Better Care of Your Health
Start With Your Skin — First Impressions are Everything
New Year’s resolutions can be sustained as long as you make resolutions simple, thematic and turn them into a habit. Do not think of your resolution as a single task to prevent your brain from shutting off the good habit once it has been performed once or twice. Sustain them even if you miss one week…do not let one week become 3 months.
Let 2019 be the year of better health. That can mean better food choices, smaller portions, fewer starches/carbs, scheduling a 20 minute walk per week, one work out class per week…simple healthy choices that you can make a HABIT.
Consistent daily skincare is essential for your health. This habit translates to beautiful skin if you use the correct medical products for YOUR skin needs and skin type.
What are the correct products for YOUR skin?
1. An anti-oxidant serum, such as Dr. Koo’s GLOSS Vitamin Serum, that protects against the formation and the penetration of super-oxide free radicals that damage skin (wrinkles and uneven pigmentation) and go on to cause skin cancers. Pollution and UV rays are the greatest producers of free radicals in our skin. Layer the anti-oxidant serum under daily sunscreen, makeup, and all other products EVERY DAY, TWICE A DAY.
2. Use the appropriate skin cleanser to remove dead skin cells. This does not mean using harsh cleansers or brushes which will irritate and redden the skin. Harsh detergent cleansers or too frequent washing will strip your own skin’s natural oils thereby stimulating your oil glands to overproduce oil. This will lead to the opposite of what you want; it will create breakouts, clogged pores, and even more oily, rough, and irritated skin.
- Use gentle GOOD quality cleansers for your skin needs.
- Dry/Very Dry Skin: use a creamy cleanser
- Oily/Acne Prone Skin: use either a clarifying or exfoliating cleanser
- Congested Pores/Rough Skin: use a gentle cleanser with TINY ORGANIC crystals (Dr Koo POLISHING CLEANSER) to cleanse the pores without aggravating them with harsh scrubs
- The appropriate cleanser will allow the actives you use to penetrate and fulfill their purpose.
3. Use the correct level of moisturizer your skin craves. If you have dry to very dry skin, you will need a cream AND perhaps a more rich dense serum. Your own skin’s level of moisture will determine the level of moisture product (Dr Koo BOOST) required. Moisturizers should be applied twice daily, under makeup and with the GLOSS Vitamin Serum.
The weather and temperature will determine the frequency of use. If you are in a high altitude in a dry climate, you may need to moisturize even more than twice a day. If you are in a temperate, humid climate such as Florida, you may only need to moisturize at night.
The season and how your skin responds to the products will guide you to the frequency of use.
The above 3 products are the most basic and most important products you must use. If you are in your 20’s or 30’s, those are the ONLY products you need (anti-oxidant sunscreen of course also)!
If you have pigment, wrinkles, and thin skin concerns, you will also need an anti-pigment and retinol product such as Dr. Koo’s REJUVENATE & GLOW products.
The correct level of Retinol/REJUVENATE product is used at night only and will increase the thickness (plumpness) of your skin. REJUVENATE will lessen the appearance of the fine and deep wrinkles. In combination with the correct PIGMENT product (Dr Koo’s GLOW), your blotchiness/pigmentation will lessen and the skin tone will appear milkier, smoother, and more even.
5 products plus a sunscreen is the maximum amount of products you honestly need. Additional products are only if you have particular concerns of redness/ruddiness, thin crepe-like eyelid skin, significant acne, or very sun damaged skin.
Your skin is a dynamic changing organ. In fact, your skin is the largest organ of your body and deserves continued care due to its constant exposure. You will help your own systemic health AND the health of your children if you take care of yours and their skin CONSISTENTLY and early-on!
The beauty will follow the functional care of your face.
I haven’t even started on the protection of your neck, chest and knees!!! Stay tuned for the next BLOG!
xo Happy New Year, let the intrinsic reward of healthier and therefore more fresh looking skin and health motivate you to continue the routine!!!
Dr Koo Skincare for Health