Your Ultimate Guide to Breast Augmentation
Have you been considering a breast augmentation or enlargement procedure to achieve the fuller and shapelier breasts you’ve always wanted? Perhaps you’ve been considering this for as long as you can remember?! While visiting with women considering breast implants in our St. Louis plastic surgery office, we often hear the same concerns. Whilst these concerns are completely legitimate, being able to make an informed decision is crucial. This comprehensive guide to Breast Augmentation will help you navigate the important aspects of the procedure. Learn more about breast augmentation before taking the next step.
Read on to learn more about:
- What is breast augmentation?
- Who is a good candidate for breast augmentation surgery?
- What results can you expect?
- What not to expect from breast augmentation
- Choosing the right surgeon
- Implant decisions
- Understanding your vision – size and shape
- Personal factors to consider
- Ensuring effective communication with your surgeon
- What are the risks?
What is Breast Augmentation?
Breast augmentation is a surgical procedure that increases or enhances the size of breasts. It is one of the most commonly performed plastic surgery procedures and also known as an augmentation mammoplasty. It’s also commonly referred to as a “boob job”. Beast augmentation is accomplished by either using breast implants or transferring fat from other parts of one’s own body to the breast.
Who is a good candidate for Breast Augmentation Surgery?
If you are unsatisfied with the size of your breast, are a non-smoker and in overall good health, you are likely an excellent candidate for breast augmentation. Candidates often have a variety of reasons why they choose breast augmentation.
Some common reasons include:
- To increase the size of naturally small breasts
- Restore volume depleted by pregnancy, age or weight loss
- Reconstruction after mastectomy
- To correct uneven or oddly shaped breasts
What Results Can You Expect from Breast Augmentation?
This popular cosmetic surgery option helps achieve:
- Larger or fuller breasts
- Restored breast volume lost due to factors like pregnancy, weight loss, or aging
- Enhanced harmony between breast and hip shape
- Improved self-image and confidence
What does Breast Augmentation not do?
A breast augmentation does not reduce the size of the breast. This is a separate surgical procedure known as breast reduction surgery. Breast augmentation procedures also do not address severely sagging or drooping breasts. However, sagging or drooping breasts can be corrected by a breast lift procedure, which is often carried out at the same time as an augmentation. Your plastic surgeon can help advise you on these procedures.
To learn more or get personalized advice, schedule a consultation with Dr Michele Koo today!
Choosing the right surgeon for your Breast Augmentation
One of the first and most critical decisions is choosing the right plastic surgeon for your breast augmentation journey. To ensure you’re in capable hands, consider these questions:
Is your plastic surgeon BOARD CERTIFIED?
This is important because surgeons who are certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery must meet rigorous qualifications and standards to receive their certification after completing four years of medical school and several more years of residency. Be wary of physicians who are certified by medical boards other than plastic surgery as they do not have the same extensive training.
Is your plastic surgeon a member of the Aesthetic Surgery Society?
Choosing a plastic surgeon who is a member of the Aesthetic Surgery Society or a similar professional organization is a fantastic decision! It shows that your surgeon is dedicated to the art and science of aesthetic surgery, constantly learning and staying up-to-date with the latest techniques.
Does your plastic surgeon have a portfolio of before and after pictures?
Your plastic surgeon having a substantial portfolio of before and after breast augmentation photos is fantastic news for you! These photos give you a clear view of their skills and results, helping you set realistic expectations and enhancing your communication during consultations. It’s all about trust, confidence, and peace of mind, knowing you’re in the hands of an experienced and transparent expert.
Does your plastic surgeon have testimonials or patients willing to share their experiences with you?
Reading through your breast augmentation surgeon’s reviews and testimonials is a must! They help show real success stories, empowering you to make a confident choice. It’s like getting advice from friends who’ve been there, and it’s all about ensuring your journey to your best self is a positive and informed one.
Dr. Koo is truly an artist and she is a perfectionist. She guided me through selecting the perfect implants that fit my body type and lifestyle. She exceeded my expectations. I’m extremely pleased and now more self- confident in every way. Joanne is so accommodating and full of great information; she is amazing!
Now that you’ve found a qualified surgeon, you’ll need to make important implant-related decisions. But don’t worry, your surgeon will advise you every step of the way!
- Silicone vs. Saline: Understand the differences between silicone and saline breast implants. Your surgeon should explain the positives and negatives associated with each type.
- Implant Placement: Decide whether you want the implant placed under your breast tissue or under the muscle.
- Breast Lift: A breast lift in addition to a breast augmentation may be required for the desired result. Breast lift procedures can be done at the same time as the breast augmentation if that is something you and your surgeon decide is the best option for you.
Understanding Your Vision
Your breast augmentation journey is not just about size; it’s about achieving the shape and look you desire.
- Describing Your Vision: You’ll need to educate yourself on the look and size of your future breasts. The most important point is that you effectively communicate and accurately convey your ideal breast appearance to your surgeon. Bring visual references, such as pictures of what you want and don’t want.
- Natural Appearance: Consider how you want your breasts to look. Do you prefer a natural slope so no one will guess you have breast implants, or do you want them to appear rounder and fuller?
- Size Preferences: Reflect on your comfort level and how noticeable you want your new breasts to be. Consider when you want them to stand out and when you prefer a more subtle look.
Various personal factors will impact your breast augmentation journey:
- Lifestyle and Activity: Your exercise routine, daily activities, and personal style can influence your implant size and shape choices.
- Body Characteristics: Your height, weight, and whether you’ve had children or plan to in the future all play a role in determining the best approach for your breast augmentation.
When contemplating your breast augmentation journey, it’s essential to take into account additional factors that can influence your decision, particularly before determining the ideal cup size:
- Future Mammograms: Consider how breast implants may impact future mammograms. It’s crucial to discuss this with your surgeon and ensure that you’ll be able to undergo routine breast screenings without interference or complications.
- Family History of Breast Cancer: If you have a family history of breast cancer, it’s vital to communicate this with your surgeon. Your breast augmentation plan should align with any recommendations or precautions related to breast health and cancer risk.
- Implant Longevity: Understanding how often you may need to replace your breast implants is essential. Discuss the expected lifespan of your chosen implants and any factors that could affect their longevity.
- Long-Term Appearance: Consider how full you want your breasts to be and how long that desired look will last. Discuss this with your surgeon to ensure your expectations align with the results you can realistically achieve.
By considering the factors above alongside your personal preferences and lifestyle, you can make a well-informed decision that leads to the results you desire while safeguarding your long-term breast health.
Your surgeon should completely understand your vision for your body and articulate it back to you. You can help facilitate this by:
- Building a Breast Vocabulary: Educate yourself on breast terminology, which will enable you to ask more informed questions and describe your goals more effectively.
- Patient-Doctor Connection: You need to feel comfortable with your surgeon and truly feel that you have connected. Establishing a strong rapport with your plastic surgeon is one of THE most important elements of achieving your perfect breasts and crucial for a successful outcome.
What are the risks of Breast Augmentation Surgery?
Like any medical procedure, breast augmentation surgery carries potential risks. However, understanding these risks empowers you to make informed decisions that align with your goals. During your consultation, your surgeon will discuss the specific risks tailored to your situation. In general, some potential risks associated with breast augmentation surgery may include:
- Temporary or permanent alterations in skin sensation
- Temporary bleeding or bruising
- Minimal risk of blood clots
- Possible skin discoloration due to scarring or bruising
- Temporary challenges with breastfeeding (if applicable)
- The rare possibility of chronic pain
- Adverse reactions to anesthesia or sedation medications
It’s important to remember that these risks are manageable with the guidance of a skilled surgeon, and countless individuals have successfully undergone breast augmentation with satisfying results. Your surgeon will prioritize your safety and provide you with the best care possible throughout the process.
Ready to take the next step?
Breast augmentation is a personal journey that should be both seamless and life-enhancing. By asking the right questions, doing your homework, and connecting with your surgeon, you can achieve your vision for the perfect breasts. Follow the information and insights in this Breast Augmentation Guide and you’ll be thrilled with the results! If you want to learn more about our Breast Augmentation procedures in St Louis or need further guidance, feel free to reach out. We’d be more than happy to help you out and answer your questions of concern.